divendres, 26 d’octubre del 2007

Marlon Brando è sempre lui (English)

(mira versió en català)

Today I want to share with you a song from the famous Italian band Ligabue. In the two years since I discovered the band, Marlon Brando è sempre lui has been one of the songs that roused the most good feelings in me, you know, it’s that song you listen to before going out or you put on your car radio when you’re feeling alright. Maybe it is because of its 80’s-90’s-like atmosphere you get from the keys, which reminds me of the times of bands like Loquillo y Trogloditas. Anyway, watch the video clip and form your own opinion. Bear in mind that it’s from 1990.

Also have a look at this live version which is really worth seeing.

Just in case somebody wonders about it, the song is introduced by a shout (Steeella! Steeeella!) which is taken from a scene from the film A Streetcar Named Desire, which is based on a play by Tennessee Williams. By the way, I recommend you to read the play carefully and then watch the film afterwards. Then you’ll realise how certain aspects of the original text were subtly censored in the film. So, in this film Marlon Brando acts as one of the main characters. The song in question does not seem to refer to this film, but rather to On the Waterfront, as it mentions the name Terry Malloy. I haven’t seen this one, so film lovers please let me know. Then, why does Ligabue use this shout in the song? Because it serves as a link with the previous track, Piccola stella senza cielo (this is a remix) as the name of the protagonist of the film I’m talking is precisely ‘Stella’. By the way, the name of the album is Ligabue, from 1990 (download it now!)

Apart from these absurd ramblings, I’ve tried to translate the song into Catalan. I hope some Italian speaker could correct the text if they find mistakes.